What is Pulmonary Hypertension?
Pulmonary hypertension (PH) is a condition characterized by high blood pressure in the pulmonary arteries (blood vessels) that carry blood to the lungs. PH is a rare but very complex and serious lung disease that is progressive and potentially fatal.
Unfortunately, PH symptoms are similar to other lung and cardiac diseases, making an accurate PH diagnosis difficult. To know more about pulmonary hypertension, consult the following PHA Canada pages:
This year again, for PH Awareness Month, we called on our PHriends and allies to spread PHAwareness by getting organized for the 6-Minute Walk which took place on November 18, 2023.
6 Minute Walk for Breath 2023
Learning what it means to live with pulmonary hypertension: #LifeInPurple
Pulmonary hypertension (PH) has significant emotional, social, and financial impacts on patients and their families. PH is also often called an “invisible disease,” meaning that those with it may not look ill. All people living with pulmonary hypertension deserve equitable and timely access to the best care possible. No two journeys with PH are alike, and each person’s story can teach us about the impact of living with pulmonary hypertension and how to improve the lives of patients and families affected by PH. That is why PHA Canada created the #LifeInPurple campaign.
Learn more about the realities of a Life in Purple
Join the social media campaign. Whether you're wearing purple in honour of PH or hosting a virtual event, we want to see what #LifeInPurple means to you.
Join events: Stay updated on events happening throughout November by checking PHA Canada's events calendar!
- Your own Social Media Kit - Click here
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for news, event updates, and to help spread awareness online
- Share your PH Awareness activities in your social media (remember to tag us using @PHACanada with the hashtag #LifeInPurple
Another way to build awareness and support for PH is to have your community issue an proclamation recognizing November as PH Awareness Month.
How to request a proclamation:
- Get in contact with your local municipal office: you can either go in person or contact them via email.
- Submit a formal request to have the month of November officially declared PH Awareness Month: you can either write your own request or use this template. Don't forget to edit it to include your personal details.
- Include something about your personal relationship to PH: Why is PH important to you? How would a proclamation make a difference to the PH community?
You can revisit previous years' #PHAwareness events listed below:
For more PH information, consult our Resources page.