Contributed by: Kate McGoey-Smith, DipNrsg, MSW, RSW, FM, Certified Food for Life Instructor. Courtesy of Fork Smart.
Here’s a perfect recipe to celebrate the Lunar New Year. Happy Year of the Rooster! We hope it brings happiness and prosperity to the Canadian PHamily.
- 900 ml of no-salt vegetable broth
- 2 cans (398 ml each) of no-salt cream corn
- 2 cans (398 ml each) of sliced straw mushrooms – rinse well to remove excess salt
- 1 cup of kernel corn (frozen or no-salt canned corn)
- 1 pack of white or brown shimeji mushrooms – cut off roots and break mushrooms apart
- 1 pack of enoki mushrooms – cut off roots, then cut mushrooms in sections
- ½ pack of light tofu – cut in thin length-wise strips, then cut in half
- 1 tbs. soy-free soya sauce (try Naked Coconuts brand)
- ¼ tsp. white ground pepper
- 2 tbs. cornstarch
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Add cornstarch last, sifting it so it does not create clumps, but thickens the soup.
- Boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for approximately 5 minutes until soup thickens. Ready to enjoy!
Recipe makes 10 cups.
Nutritional information (per cup): 65 mg of salt, 0.4 g of fat