Contributed by: Kate McGoey-Smith, DipNrsg, MSW, RSW, FM, Certified Food for Life Instructor. Courtesy of Fork Smart.
Here’s a glorious recipe to celebrate the arrival of spring!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 bunch of asparagus, chopped (set aside half)
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 tbs. chili powder
- 1 tbs. thyme
- 1 tbs. tarragon
- 1 tbs. basil paste or ¼ cup of fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tbs. minced garlic
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tbs. white pepper
- 1 tbs. light soy sauce
- 1 tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 cups of water
- Combine all prepped ingredients into a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Blend until soup has creamy texture.
- Microwave remaining half of asparagus bunch for ~ 6 min., drain and add to soup.
- Pair with crusty whole grain bread and a crisp salad for a satisfying meal.
Nutritional information: 65 mg of salt per cup (recipe makes 8).