Recipe from: Abi Cowell of Very Veganish
Contributed by: Kate McGoey-Smith, DipNrsg, MSW, RSW, FM, Certified Food for Life Instructor. Courtesy of Fork Smart.
If you find traditional Alfredo sauce to be too heavy and high in sodium, try this alternative recipe for your next pasta dish. Bonus, cauliflower is rich in vitamins C, B, and K.
- 1 large cauliflower, washed, stripped, and cut into florets
- 1 head of garlic, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup of unsweetened almond milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add cauliflower to large pot and cover with water. Boil over high heat until tender. Drain and transfer to high-speed blender.
- In non-stick frying pan, gently cook garlic until fragrant or starting to brown on the edges – do not overcook or burn. Add tablespoon of water if garlic starts to stick. Transfer sautéed garlic to blender.
- Add almond milk, salt, and pepper to blender. Blend ingredients until completely pureed and smooth.
- Serve over whole-wheat pasta, with warmed sweet peas, sautéed mushrooms, and browned smoked tempeh for a hearty meal.
Nutritional information: 120 mg salt per serving (recipe makes four)