In spirit of the holidays (and the amount of leftovers that inevitably come with it!), here is a simple recipe that will help give those kitchen scraps a boost and variety. It is as delicious, as it is easy; and great for all ages!
Ingredients and Prep:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tbs. sodium-free baking powder* (or equal amount of regular baking powder)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbs. pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400oF.
- Lightly oil a 9-inch square baking pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour and baking powder. Add the plant milk, applesauce and maple syrup and whisk to combine.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Place pan on middle rack in oven and bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool. Cool briefly before cutting into wedges and serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
*Sodium-free baking powder – check local specialty stores or online stores (Hain brand carried by Whole Foods)