Contributed by: Kate McGoey-Smith, DipNrsg, MSW, RSW, FM, Certified Food for Life Instructor
Here’s a great recipe to mix up your sandwich routine! Top your favourite bread with this flavourful spread and pair with pea shoots, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, or carrots for a quick and easy lunch.
Ingredients and Prep:
- 540ml (19 oz) no salt chickpeas, rinsed and drained. Blend in food processor or use hand masher to semi-mashed texture.
- 1/3 cup celery, diced
- 1/3 cup of onion, minced
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, dice
- In a large bowl, combine these wet ingredients: whisk together
- 1 tbs. sweet green relish
- 1 1/2 tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbs. low sodium soy sauce (for less salt, use coconut aminos or Coconut Secret Soy-free Seasoning Sauce)
- 1 tbs. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. kelp powder
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- In a large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
- Add chickpea mix and veggies. Mix well.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper, if desired.
Nutritional information: 62 mg of salt per sandwich (recipe makes eight sandwiches); 499 mg salt for the entire batch.