Provided by Kate McGoey-Smith, DipNrsg, MSW, RSW, FM
Craving something special and oh-so-yummy? This donut will take care of you! Bonus – your kids will love these as a recess or after school smack and won’t even know if is good for them!!!
- ~105 mg of salt per donut)
- Makes ~ 12 donuts; Pre-heat oven at 350F for ~12 - 14 minutes until browned ; 105 mg of sodium per donut.
Gather and Prep: This is a two bowl method; one for dry ingredients and one for wet ingredients
Dry Bowl: blend with dry whisk ...
- 1 ¾ cups of (GF) oatmeal flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- ~ 1/8 tsp salt – use less than full 1/8 tsp (or eliminate)
- Wet Bowl: mash with potato masher until all ingredients fully blended . . .
- 1/2 cup of cooked sweet potato (orange inside) – bake (420F x 50 min) and remove skin
- 1 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp maple syrup
Now blend with spatula wet ingredients into dry ingredients until fully mixed. This will be a thick dough.
Transfer to a non-stick donut pan or silicone mini bunt cake tray (6 in a tray and use a spoon to scoop batter into centre of form, then wet fingers and spread dough to fill each entire form. Alternatively, flour surface and and roll dough into a round long tubular shape and then cut and join ends to create donuts. Place dough rings on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350F for ~ 12-14 minutes until browned.
Cool on wire rack and then remove from pan to serve.