Provided by Kate McGoey-Smith, DipNrsg, MSW, RSW, FM
This will become a favourite go-to salad whether served as a starter or main attraction! Yes, it is that delicious! This bowl of crispy romaine lettuce with a creamy Caesar dressing (nut and oil-free) with a sprinkle of hickory-smoke tempeh "bacon" bits, topped with flakes of nutritional yeast and freshly ground pepper will make you want seconds!
Gather and Prep: In a large salad bowl
1. One to Two Heads of Romaine Lettuce (4-8 servings)– remove leaves from centre rib and tear into mouth size pieces – place in spinner to be washed and dried – then place in bowl.
2. In an small electric blender (aka Magic Bullet) – add the following ingredients before blending at high speed until smooth (~ 3 mins of blending):
- 5 medium Medjool dates (pit removed)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard (low sodium- compare nutrition facts labels)
- 1 tbsp. low sodium miso paste (Shiro miso – at health stores)
- ¾ cup of cold water
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 large clove of garlic
3. In air fryer (400 F or 200 C for ~10 min) of non-stick frying pan – cook Tempeh Hickory Smokey Bacon (Tofurky Brand – in produce depart of major grocery stores) – cook until crispy – then break into pieces and store in air -tight container.
4. Add creamy Caesar dressing to bowl of prepared romaine lettuce – put to light coat (add a little at a time to avoid a soggy salad) – toss – and then sprinkle in bacon bits and top with nutritional yeast. So yum!