Modified recipe from the T. Colin Campbell Centre for Nutrition Studies.
Contributed by: Kate McGoey-Smith, DipNrsg, MSW, RSW, FM, Certified Food for Life Instructor.
PHight the cold with a soup that’s low in salt but high in flavour! This velvety soup delicately blends the flavours of tomato and basil; the perfect mix that will make you want to have a second bowl!
- 900ml of no-salt veggie broth
- ½ cup of water
- 1 can (796ml) of no-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 cups of cauliflower, washed and diced
- 3 Medjool dates, with pits removed
- ¼ cup of fresh basil, shredded, or 3-4 squares of frozen basil
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in an electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot).
- Secure pressure cooker lid and close vent. Set on “Manual” for 4 minutes.
- When ingredients are cooked, puree contents with a blender to obtain smooth and creamy texture.
- Try lining your soup bowl with baby spinach greens for a fresh and healthy twist.
Nutritional information: recipe makes ~ 6 servings; ~ 36 mg of salt per serving