Skip to main content
What is PH?
Types of PH
Living with PH
Find a PH Centre
New to PH Kit
PH Research Scholarships
Clinical Trials in Canada
Host an Event
The Pulse E-Newsletter
Leave a Legacy
Take Action PAH
PH Awareness Month
World PH Day
Rare Disease Day
Low Sodium Recipes
Veggie Benny with Hollandaise Sauce
Back to all Resources
by Kate McGoey Smith, DipNrsg, MSW, RSW, FM
Hollandaise Sauce (60 – 80 mg salt depending on mustard brand)
Gather and Prepare:
In a sauce pan, add
1. 2 cups of water – in saucepan, bring to a boil
2. Then add all seasonings to boiling water: 1 no salt veggie stock cube (Superstore Organic Section)
3. 1 tbsp diced white onion
4. ½ tsp paprika
5. ½ tsp turmeric and 2 cloves of peeled and minced garlic
6. Then add 2 cups of chopped cauliflower (cut into small florets)
Turn down heat to low and cook cauliflower for 25-30 mins until fork tender/falling apart.
7. Using slotted spoon, remove cauliflower and place in cylinder container for blending. Add ½ cup of seasoned cauliflower water and blend with submersible blender until a sauce-like thickness and smoothness.
8. Then add 1 tSp Dijon mustard
9. 1 tbsp lemon juice and ½ cup of nutritional yeast
Build Your Benny
10. 1 slice of whole grain bread – toasted
11. Layer with baby spinach leaves (remove stems if desired)
12. Layer with sliced tomatoes (Roma’s work well)
13. Layer with sauteed mushrooms*
14. Cover with dollops of whole plant-based hollandaise sauce
15. If desired, add thin slices of avocado or sprinkle with paprika (optional)
To complete the meal, serve with oven-baked, without oil, chunky Yukon gold potatoes (cook and prepare first, so meal comes together in a coordinated fashion).
*sliced white mushrooms (~16 oz cooked dry in hot non-stick frying pan, stirring often – will get very moist – and cook until water disappears) If you dislike mushrooms, use your choice of other veggies-like steamed asparagus.
If wish to double Hollandaise sauce recipe, make the following changes:
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- Cook cauliflower for at least 30 mins
Put in air-tight jar and refrigerate up to 1 week.